Saturday, January 28, 2006

On Names of Places


There are places around the world with similar names, which leads people to wrong interpretations and uncomfortable mistakes.
I live in La Palma island, one of the canaries, but many people place me in Palma de Mallorca, one of the balearics...well, that just makes me explain where each one is and that´s all...
But, when the mistake is done in an airport, with your luggage, and on holidays, things change drammatically...not so fun indeed!!!
I´ve had several "oportunities to taste the joke": Once,when travelling to Santiago de Compostela, they sent all my luggage to Santiago de Chile- they sent it to other continent!!! and we had to wait for three days to have it back- on a fortnight holiday!... Well, at least I can say "part of me has been in South America".
I also remember a friend who wanted to came to La Palma and got a plane ticket to Las Palmas. I had to pick her at the airport and was waiting for quite a long time.At first I thought she had mistaken the arrival time, but then I received a phone call...It was her, quite upset, asking where I was, and guessing I had forgotten to pick her up...we laughed a lot when we met.
Above some photos of La Palma...if you come here you´ll find deep ravines, volcanoes,black sand...otherwise you´ve gone to the wrong place!

5 comments:

Amanda FV said...

Hello Conchy
I love your beautiful photo collage of La Palma. The colours look wonderfully inviting and peaceful. But then I see I'll find volcanoes there, so maybe not so peaceful after all?!
Amanda

Berta said...

Hi Conchy, both of your photo collages are splendid. Hope to read more about you and your island. Warmly from Caracas, Berta

Jane said...

I love your collage--and my students did too. Did you use picasa to make it or another tool? I also enjoyed your story--last year when I flew to San Jose, Costa Rica the pilot told us he had had someone on the flight the week before who thought he was going to California. oops. Jane

Guy Jean said...

Me, too, I want to know how you made the photo collage! Very clever and cool.

Maria Claudia Bellusci said...

Conchy,
I was going to ask you how you'd made the collage, but it looks some other people have already asked. Will you tell us?
Intrigued Claudia (¿?)